Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Soccer Season

Cooper has been begging me to sign him up for soccer this past year. Well, finally I got him on to a team that has two kids from our neighborhood.  I told him that we need to practice so can improve.  One day, I took him out in the backyard to help him learn how to kick the ball (not with the toe of his foot) and also how to drop kick it.
Let's just say it didnt' go so well.  We started off with drop kicks and he did pretty good. He doesn't like me to tell him how to do things, so I was getting frustrated.  At first, I wasn't mad at him, I was just trying to help him figure out how to drop the ball so that he could kick it easier.  He listened to me and started doing really well.  I was encouraging him and he was happy and doing well. 
Next, I tried to show him how to kick the ball on the side/top of his foot.  He couldn't do it no matter how many times he tried, so he just gave up and kept telling me he couldn't do it and that he wanted to stop practicing.  He kept complaining and then he would walk to the ball instead of run to it....all the perfect ingredients for a HATCH to start getting upset. I tried to patiently explain to him that people have to practice if they want to get better.  I told him that I spent countless hours practicing basketball when I was young. 
He started crying and wanted to go inside.  I told him to go inside to wipe his nose and then come back out because we were not finished.  I "showed" him how to kick the ball hard into the fence (almost through the wooden fence)...while stood there crying.  I then decided I needed to relax, take a deep breath or two, and let him kick the ball however he wanted to.  All I wanted him to do, was to kick the ball hard.  He kicked it hard 10 times and then we were done.  I told him that he did a good job and I that I wasn't trying to be mean to him...I just wanted him to not give up and to try his hardest.  I tried to explain to him that I wanted him to feel confident and good about his skills when game time came and that was why I was trying to teach him some skills and practice with him....He told me thanks and that he loved me. We haven't practiced since that day 3 weeks ago!
He has played in two games now and he did a great job.  I was very proud of him.  He didn't score any goals or make any amazing passes...but he hustled the entire game, never gave up, and had a happy attitude.  I stood close to him while he played goalie and defender so that I could help him learn where to stand and how to attack the ball or protect the goal.  He had a lot of fun in the games and I have really enjoyed watching him play and have a good time!

1 comment:

Jenn Douglas said...

For any readers out there. Tonight, after Coopers soccer practice, we got into the van and Cooper said,"Mom, I need to practice more, but can we do something different besides kick the ball against the fence?" Jenn was not amused that he would not like her practice of kicking the ball against the fence. I smiled about that for a good little while.