Sunday, August 10, 2014

Hoppin' Poppin' Kettle Corn


It has been such a great opportunity to start our new business this year.  After much preparation and planning, we finally decided to open Hoppin' Poppin' Kettle Corn. My dear friend, Holly Casebolt, asked me if I wanted to go in on the business and be co-owners.  It has been a good decision for us.  After getting financing and doing all the small, mundane tasks, we became business owners in April. 
After we received the equipment and machinery, we started practicing in the garage.  I remember our first batch tasted so good and we were so proud of ourselves.  We kept eating it till it was gone.  After making batch after batch and tweeking things here and there, we finally were ready to go out and sell it. 
Part of the reason I wanted to start this venture, was so I could teach my kids how to work and earn money for their missions.  Cooper has a very outgoing personality and he has enjoyed helping us make the popcorn and market it to the customers.  He has done a great job giving samples and telling people about our different flavors!
 In July, we did an event in Clinton.  Holly was not able to be there, so I had Dad and Micaela come help me.  Micaela was a very hard worker and I was very impressed with attitude and her motivation.  It was a lot of fun to have both of them with me.  I loved being able to teach them how it all worked and I think they enjoyed it.
 We also had quite a bit of success selling in our neighborhoods to our friends.  The flavors that we have done this year are kettle, caramel, fruit fusion, white cheddar and some cinnamon.  I never realized how much people love kettle corn till I started this business with Holly.  I am amazed at what people will pay for popcorn.  So far, we have had a fun and successful year.  WE have almost made back enough to pay off our initial investment!
 Here are some pictures of our very first event, St. Mary's Guadalupe Garden.  The weather turned out to be in the low 50's with rain all day.  We were so excited when we sold our first bag.  We ended up selling $160 worth that day and we were pleased with that. That was the day we established our main jobs.  Holly did the cooking of the popcorn and I did the sifting and bagging.
Overall, it has been a huge blessing for our family already in its first year. There have been so many things we have learned and we have received many tender mercies along the way.  We really have been blessed throughout the summer with great success at our events.  Cooper has had an opportunity to work and earn money, my family comes and spends a few hours with us every Saturday at the events, we have been able to pay off some bills, and Bryce has been able to spend quality time with his kids!




No comments: