Monday, November 21, 2011

Bring Me Back

November is National Adoption Month and so I thought I would share a few thoughts about adoption. I have been blessed to have two beautiful boys, one from adoption, one from pregnancy. I have often thought about the two experiences. They were both completely different, but equally amazing. Looking back, I would not choose one way over the other. They each have their positives and negatives, and I can say that I definitely felt the Hand of the Lord in the adoption and the natural birth. Both were very spiritual experiences and I am so thankful that I have had both these opportunities.

I am so thankful for such wonderful birth parents. They are such great people and they have shown us so much love. As I have gotten to know them over the past 6 years, along with their families, I have grown to love them as if they were my own siblings and family members. I am thankful to a birth mom, that to do this day, still supports us and stands by her decision to place Cooper with our family. Though she has rightfully chosen to step back and create some distance between her and Cooper, I still receive very touching and meaningful texts, emails, and notes from her. This has meant the world to me. She is married now to a wonderful man and she seems to be very happy. I will forever be grateful to her for that choice she made on that beautiful night of April 14, 2005.

I often look through my pictures, letters, and scrapbook from that night, and I tear up every time. It brings me back to that night. I think about the nerves, the tears, the smiles, the heartache, the joy, the pain, the look in others eyes, and most of all, the unconditional love that was felt in that room for Cooper. I will always treasure my pictures and letters from that day. They bring me back!

I am so thankful for a birth father who is loving, and kind, and supportive. I have witnessed the tenderness and love that is in this man. He has such a big heart and I see that is Cooper as well. I am grateful for a man that stood by the side of Coopers birth mom through her pregnancy and together, they made the difficult decision to place Cooper with us. Not very many men stay in this situation, but he did and that says alot about him. I was told by my caseworker, that this was really rare, so I knew he must be amazing. I will always have a special place in my heart for him.

I am indeed grateful for the birth families. I have had the opportunity to build great and lasting relationships with these wonderful people that I call family. They have really took us in and treated us so kindly these past 6 years and I will forever be thankful to each of them. We have been very blessed by adoption. It has touched our lives forever!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I really loved this post, Jenn. I love hearing your thoughts on adoption and your view points and your experience. You are a wonderful, wonderful person! Love ya.

Jordan said...

And Cooper couldn't be a better kid. Even at his young age, he is very Christ-like.