Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lucky Number 14

The day of April 14th is just as important or special as the day of April 11th. Although Cooper was born on the 11th, many miracles happened on April 14th. We adopted sweet little Cooper on the eve of April 14th. We also witnessed the self-less sacrifice and love of a birth mom, a birth day, and birth grandparents. It was such a bitter sweet day for everyone involved. I look back on pictures that we took from that day, and I become flooded with all different emotions.
Bryce and I will be forever grateful to a birth mom and birth dad who decided to place their baby boy for adoption. They have both been so loving and supportive over the past 7 years. We have grown to love and appreciate them more and more with each passing year. They are amazing people and we love them dearly.


Back to the day of April 14th....I am often asked the date of Coopers birthday. Many times I answer, "April 14th". Then, it hits me that I am wrong once again, and then I have to try to explain to people that it is really the 11th and that I had a brain lapse. I guess the 14th is just a special day for me. Clayton was born on the 14th and 14 was my basketball number all through high school and college. Now you can see why I love the number 14!!!
This year, it just happened that the 14th hit on a Saturday, so that is when we had Coopers birthday party. We held his party at Bryce's workplace. It was perfect for the party. We didn't really have a theme, but Cooper wanted a Wild Kratts birthday cake. I googled birthday cakes and got a few ideas for the party.When the kids all arrived for the party, the first activity we did was go on a nature scavenger hunt. The kids had a bag, pencil and the list of 15 different items to collect outside. Some included sticks, rocks, litter, grass, etc. The kids had a fun time working alone or working in teams to come up with all the items! The next activity was making bird feeders. I got most of my ideas off of Pinterest. Anyway, the kids took a toilet paper roll and smeared peanut butter all over it. Then they rolled it in bird seed. Bryce took hangers and attached them to the inside. The kids were able to take these home and put them in their trees.The third activity was the pinata. I had a hard time deciding on which Pinata to buy. There were so many to choose from. I wanted one that was a decent size and that looked sturdy enough to take a good beating. I ended up going with the Pinata and Cooper loved it!The Pinata ended up making through all 9 older children and also Landon and Clayton. The kids had a great time swinging that bat. Bryce and Jared had to patch the Pinata up a few times so that everyone got a chance at the bat. Our neighbor, Tyler, ended up being the last one and we let him finish it off.

We had to keep reminding the kids to stay back, especially when the candy started falling out of the pinata. Tyler had his blind fold on and he was still going to town on the pinata. He finally busted it open and then all the kids were able to collect the candy! Afterward, we let Cooper take many swings at the pinata. He actually did a good job and connected every time he swung the bat!Cooper was surrounded by kids wanting him to hurry and open their presents. He received many nice gifts, but his favorite present was a "Happy Napper" monkey that Jordan and Tyler gave him. My favorite gifts for him was the Wilson Glove and baseball from Jacqui, and the Nerf Football and Aerobie Frisbee from mom and dad! Now, maybe he can be a little more active and work on some of his athletic abilities!The last, but most important part of the birthday party, was the cake and ice cream. Cooper successfully blew out his seven candles. We cut the cake and the kids enjoyed it with ice cream. We decorated the cupcakes with Wild Kratts creature power discs. This was a hit with the kids. Overall, it turned out to be a great party. The kids had a great time and we did activities that were unique and fun. I enjoyed decorating the cake and planning the activities, but I was so exhausted when it was all over. Bryce brought pizza home at 6 and I told him I wanted to spend the rest of the night in front of the TV.....and that I did!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I don't even know what wild krats are, but they look fantastic! Happy birthday, happy adoption day, happy celebration of Cooper day!