Monday, June 4, 2012

Memorial Weekend Part #1

Growing up in Texas, we didn't really celebrate Memorial Day because we had no family down there.  My mom and dad grew up taking flowers to grave sights on that day, but that tradition did not continue with me and my siblings.  In fact, I probably really didn't know what it meant until I got to Utah and my Grandma Cooper "gently" told us what we should be doing on that day!

Although we still do not go visit cemeteries, I am grateful for those who came before me.  I am thankful for those who paved the way so my path could be easier.  I am thankful for those early pioneers that sacrificed every thing they had to gain religious freedoms.  I am also thankful for those who have fought for our great country so that we can enjoy life and be free to choose.  I am thankful for my Grandpa Coopers willingness to not only serve our country, but to be a great example to those around him during his time in the military.  He was a beacon of light to many people and he still is today.
For Memorial weekend, we went camping up to Mantua.  The weather here has been pretty nice for the most part....that is, until Memorial Weekend.  Every year, there is at least one day that seems to be cold and rainy over Memorial Weekend.  Yet, we continue to go camping year after year.
On Friday night, we arrived up at the campgrounds around 6 pm.  We actually took the trailers up early that week so we could reserve the best spots.  The Merrills and Gabrishs' came up with us this year.  We had a great time the first night.  The kids had fun going for rides on the razor.  They also helped Bryce find firewood and drag it over to the pit. 

We were located near the mountain, so the kids had a blast running up and down the hills.  They also made themselves little hideouts.  They tried to make a zip line out of rope but it couldn't quite hold their weight.  We roasted marshmallows and ate smores that night as we sat around the fire! 
It was such a beautiful evening, but we knew the "inevitable" was moving our way.  We all hit the sac that night tired and ready for a good nights sleep. The kids slept really well.  Bryce and I woke up around 3 because it was warm in our camper.  Yoda was down by the heater and she was panting like crazy.  All three of us went out for a crisp morning bathroom break. 

We got up on Saturday morning and started getting ready for breakfast.  Steph picked up some cinnamon roll bread from Kneaders and we make french toast with it.  They were very tasty.  We also had omelette's (Bryce's favorite), bacon, and more bacon. By the time breakfast was finished and cleaned up, it was starting to get very cloudy and stormy. 
We decided to take our chances and go for a small ride.  We got the kids all bundled up in their snow jackets and boots.  Bryce and I had our rain gear on.  It was in the 50's and the rain was moving in quickly.  We made it pretty far up the trail before stopping to let the kids run around and eat a snack.  We decided that we better turn around and head back to camp.
Right when we turned around, the rain picked up and it started pouring.  We tried to ride and quickly and safely as we could.  Bryce and Clayton were in the front.  I was worried about Clayton's face getting pelted with the rain, but Bryce was blocking it with his one arm and driving with the other.

 We finally made it back to camp and everyone piled into their campers, stripped off their wet clothes, and tried to get warm.  It continued to rain and rain and rain.  We ended up heading home for the night.  Its nice that Mantua is only 40 minutes from our home.  We got home, cleaned things up, did some laundry, and got showered and cleaned up for church on Sunday!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Camping is always all about the food for me. And relaxation. There's nothing I love more than sitting in a folding chair with a good book, my husband next to me, and our children playing in the lake/sand at our feet. You should do a post with all your camping recipes - sounds like you really eat well when you get out in the woods!