Friday, May 25, 2012

Freedom's Field Day

One of your friends and neighbors is a PTA vice president at Freedom Elementary.  This year for the field day, hardly any parents signed up to volunteer.  Its hard when you have little kids, but she came and told me I could bring Clayton, so I was able to come help and spend half the day with Cooper.  I thought it was funny because I saw about 6 other friends from our ward helping also.  I am glad she asked us to help!

We were in charge of taking Coopers class from activity to activity.  The first thing they did was play crab soccer.  There were way too many kids and the ball was too small. I loved playing crab soccer when I was young.  We would play in the gym with a ginormous ball with Coach Hayes and Coach Warhaw at South Knoll Elementary....oh the memories.
The kids also did three legged races.  They thought this was so much fun.  They wanted to do it over and over again, even though many of them ended up falling down and dragging each other across the field.  Next, the kids played frisbie golf.  This would be fun for adults, but I thought the kids were too small. In fact some of the kids got hit in the face with a hard frisbie and had black eyes before it was all over.

The kids also got to play with the parachute.  They would lift it up and down and then climb under it.  They also played a shark game with the parachute. This is another activity that brought back lots of memories for me.  I loved playing with the parachute!

One of Coopers favorite parts of the day was the "Bike Rodeo".  They had a police officer come and talk to the kids about bike safety and about the importance of wearing a helmet.  Then the kids got to ride their bikes through an obstacle course that had different streets signs set up through out it.  Most of the kids really enjoyed this activity, even though it was total chaos!
We ended the day with tug o war.  It was fun to watch the kids try to pull each other across the line.  The girls ended up beating the boys.  In fact, they beat them in every class throughout the day.  Its funny how girls are stonger and bigger than boys at that age!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Okay, I'm not sure how I feel about Cooper being friends with someone who would wear a t.u. shirt, but it looks like the kids - black eyes aside - had a lot of fun.