Sunday, July 20, 2008

Scam, Scam, Scam!

We activated our adoption paperwork on parent profiles.com a week ago. It is the most popular adoption website. Anyway, we got a contact a few days ago and here is how the communication went:

"Hello, I looked at your profile and it looks interesting---was wondering if you would take care of my upcoming kid---I just want what is best for my baby and was want your family to take good care of my baby" - Carrey

So I Respond:

Thank you for contacting us. We are excited to learn more about you. Would you be willing to share more information with us? How far along are you and how are you feeling? How is the pregnancy going? If you don't mind, what state are living in? Are you working with an agency right now? We are working with LDS Family Services. I don't know if you are interested in working through them, but they provide services to every area in the U.S. One nice thing is that their services to you are free. We adopted our little boy, Cooper, through LDS Family Services and we were really impressed with the way they dealt with not only us, but the birth mother.

So, she says:

Thank you for your message, I'm 5 months pregnant. I will be very happy if you can help me take good care of the baby, I'm fine at the moment -- there are some problems i am facing but i thank God for everything... I'm presently in the United Kingdom, i came here with my bf and all the way he died here in the UK-- he has an accident, I'm planning on getting back to the states and place the baby for adoption and i hope your family will be good enough to take good care of the baby.Carrey.

And I write:

We would love to learn more about you. When are you coming back to the United States? Where are you going to be living when you come back to the U.S.? How long have you been in the U.K.? I think it would be neat to be over in Europe. Is it pretty there? Would you be interested in working with LDS Family Services when you return to the U.S.?

She says:

Thank you for your message, I will be back to the states very soon -- i need to do some things before i get back to the states but i am abate of doing it. I don't have a place yet to stay when i get back to the state. I've been here for a year now and it's nice here in London... I will like to work witth LDS but it's only when i am back to the states, check out my pictures.Carrey.
(She sends us two picts- one of a girl in front of tower in London, other of a girl and her "so called" boyfriend on a yahct.)

So, I respond:

The pictures you sent us are so cute. Thanks for sending those to us. Do you have family in the states? Do you have any idea where you are going to stay when you return? Well, just keep us updated and we can give you some contact information to the LDS Family Services when you get back to the states. Like I said before, they are really good to work with, and they will answer any questions you might have. We would love to eventually get to meet you or talk to you. Please keep us updated so that we know how you are doing. Feel free to email us as much as you would like. We love hearing from you. We love children so much and we are looking forward to the time when we will be blessed with another child in our family and home. Our little boy, Cooper, prays about having another baby all the time. He wants to be a big brother so much and he loves little babies.

She emails me:

I don't have any family in the states,I've been lonely since my parents died... Are your family a good Christian? i do go to church always, I will find a place to stay when i get back to the states-- the main problem now is how to get back to the states, I will like to seek an aid from your family, firstly i need to attend the hospital here in the UK for medical purpose and good health. I'm in need of some amount like 400 pounds and i hope your family can help me out about this... it will be nice meeting your family sooner to know the kind of person your family are...

I think, "Wow, this is interesting. Her boyfriend, mom, and dad died and she needs money!"
I write her back:

We have already spent alot of money on costs associated with our adoption paperwork. We are not going to be able to help you. We will continue to pray for you and hope that you will email us as soon as you get to the United States, if you, in fact, are truly interested in placing your child with our family.
She so nicely responds:

I will like to place my baby with your family... can you be of aid to me with any amount you got, I'm fed up of all this mess. kindly have mercy for me.

I so nicely resond:

Let me tell you some of my concerns. There are alot of scams out there right now where people are taking advantage of adoptive couples who really want children. Its really sad and pathetic that these individuals are scamming because they know that these adoptive couples are emotionally and financially drained because they want a child so badly. I am not saying that this is the case, but there are questions that I have asked you that have not been answered. Again, we cannot send you any money.

And that brings me to today. She is done writing me tryint to scam us for our money. Bryce and I were aware of such scams so were not upset about it. However, if it would have been a couple who didn't have any children, that scam would have crushed them. You know, its sad that we live in a society that we have to question every story that people tell us. But that's the way it is!

9 comments:

Carrie said...

It's so sad that people will prey on others emotions and strongest desires. I'm glad you didn't get 'taken' by her or him... whichever it was. We're still praying for you two to get a baby!

Gary and Renee said...

Wow, it's hard to believe how evil some people are! I'm so glad that you recoginized the situation for what it was. You have a wonderful little family and I pray the lucky baby destined to join your family will be your arms soon.

Sara said...

I can't believe people really try and do this to people. I must be really stupid because I would never think to do something like this to someone. Or maybe it is just because I am or try to be an honest person. We are always praying for you Jenn. Love you guys

The Nelsons said...

Wow, people never cease to amaze me. I cannot believe what people will do for money. We continue to pray for you and you will get your baby. Keep your faith as I know you do. You are truly an inspiration to me

jenhatch said...

WOW What a crappy thing to do to somebody! Even from the very beginning to get your hopes up like that! SO sad we live in that sort of society where people think to do that!

Shannon & Ryan said...

I am seriously so glad that you guys were cautious and aware regarding these types of scams. I am also glad that you called this "emailer" on the carpet regarding her vagueness.

Matt and Shari Bailey said...

Thanks for sharing Jen. I am shocked that people do these kinds of things. I only hope that those you do come across those scams catch them before its too late and they have lost their money. I am excited to read about updates of when you do get another baby to adopt. I always think of adopting a baby and think its neat to give another baby a chance to have a good life had it not been adopted. Good to read your blog. Happy 24th of July!

Fullmer Family said...

That is sad and those people will eventually get what they deserve!! You and your family are in our prayers!! I've loved catching up on your blog!! What a fun summer so far. I hope you guys are doing good. Hey, you never called me! :) Give me a call if you ever want to chat.

Julie said...

I can't believe that! I'm just glad that you guys are savvy as to the scamming going on. I'll keep you guys in my prayers, best of luck on getting another child. I couldn't think of a better place for a kid to be!