Saturday, April 24, 2010

Small Moments

As I sit in the chair and rock Clayton to sleep, I sit and cry. A few hours later, I read him his favorite book, "I Love You Through and Through" and I cry as he sits there and holds on to my thumbs as I turn the pages. I take a bath with him tonight and he looks up at me with those big eyes and I begin to tear up. The reason for all these tears is because my sister, Sherrie, should be doing these things as well. Things happen in life that make us appreciate those "small moments" a little more and help us realize that we take times like these for granted...

My dear sister, Sherrie and her wonderful family are going through some tough times right now and I can't help but ache for them. I hurt so bad for their whole family, yet the only thing I can do here in Utah is pray and think about them. I just wish I could be there to give my sister a big hug and just hold her in my arms.
Sherrie and Brian received precious, little Maleah into their family 16 days ago. This is the fourth baby that they received through adoption. They are very close friends with the birth mom and she chose them from the very beginning of the pregnancy. Sherrie and Brian were there to see the birth of Maleah, and brought her home 3 days later. After sharing, caring, and loving her for two weeks, this past Wednesday, they had to return her to her birth mom because now the birth dad wants to be involved. It would take a miracle for them to get Maleah back, because the birth dad is completely against adoption.

Sometimes we don't understand why things happen the way they do, but I know that Heavenly Father knows everything and there is a purpose. It doesn't make these trials any easier to cope with, but I think it gives us peace and hope. I am very impressed with the way that Sherrie and Brian are dealing with this trial right now. They are great examples to me. My heart goes out to them and their children and I wish I could take their pain away. I know that they are finding peace and strength through the only reliable source...our Saviour and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. He is only person that can truly help us in these times of great trials.

This trial that they are going through has given me alot to think about. I hope that I will never take the time that I have with my kids and husband for granted. These moments that we have with them are precious. I hope my family and friends know how much I love them. I am so blessed to be surrounded with wonderful people in my life. I want each one of you to know that ou have touched my life and I am thankful for you!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I am so sorry for this loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, Jenn. May your hearts be comforted and strengthened during this difficult time, and especially through the transition.

Sara said...

WOW! I was hoping that this wouldn't happen. And like you said, it is all in the Lord's hands! Brian and Sherry are in our prayers! Love you lots.

Melissa said...

I am so sorry...that would be so hard!! I will keep your family in my prayers.

Charee B Mcclellan said...

oh my word, this would be sooo hard. those first couple weeks are the bonding weeks, just to have her taken away??? i had a neighbor growing up that this happened to..and she said it felt just like a death. oh man, i feel sooo bad. you said it right though, everything is in the lords hands. you really impress me jen. i think the world of you. keep us posted on more info as you get it.

Carrie said...

I'm so so so sorry to you and to Shari and Brian. What a heartache. Everyone will be in our prayers.

jenhatch said...

What a beautiful post Jenn to remind us all how precious every moment we have is... with each person we have in our lives.

Sherrie said...

Thank you Jenn! I wish you were here too and that you could have met her and held her. But I do want you to know that I feel your love and prayers. And yes...the little moments mean everything. The night we left the hospital with her she squeezed my thumbs and put them next to her cheeks to feel me near. I miss those little fingers and the closeness I had with her. Cherish the little things b/c they can all be gone in an instant.