Monday, January 21, 2008

Fishers of Men

Yesterday, I had to speak in church with my presidency. I do not like speaking in public. It causes me alot of anxiety and stress. So, I asked to speak first, so that I could get it over with and relax for the rest of the meeting. We were asked to speak on being "fishers of men", which basically means following the life of the Savior. He was a perfect example of selflessness, service, compassion, and love toward others. I began my talk by telling everybody about how excited Cooper was when he came home from Christmas vacation. He kept telling everyone to 'come and see' his room and toys. Well, over 2000 years ago, that same invitation was given to fishermen on the shore of Galilee. "Come and see, come follow me, come unto me, and I will make you fishers of men." And I went on to talk about "nets" and what fills our nets.... time constraints, pressure from home or job, feelings of inadequacy.... anything that keeps us from following Christ. I ended with some ideas on how we can better be fishers of men...giving more service to those around us, being better examples, being better friends and neighbors, and there are many, many more!! I only had to speak for about 5 minutes, so I felt so much better when I was finally finished.

No comments: