Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Big Week For Us!!

Our family and friends had a huge fast on Sunday, January 4th for us. I know that there have been thousands of prayers offered on our behalf and we have been blessed by everyone’s faithfulness and support.



January 8, (Egg Retrieval) we got to the clinic at 7 am. They brought me back, put a gown on me, and started an I.V. They gave me medicine that made me forget what happened. I do remember, however, the doctor putting a huge sponge up inside me three times to clean me. This hurt but that is all that I remember. Bryce got to watch the entire procedure. He said that they would go up with a very long needle. They would stick it into each follicle and pull out the egg and liquid. He said that I would wince every now and then and that I kept trying to close my legs. They had Bryce give them a sample and then they looked through his sperm, picked the best ones, and injected them into the mature eggs. It took me a while to wake up from the drugs and I threw up as soon as we started driving. But, I slept for the rest of the day.

We later found out that they retrieved 21 eggs, 16 were mature, and they were able to fertilize 15 of them.

I also started the “dreaded” progesterone shots this night. These shots have long, thick needles and the progesterone is thick. These have to be given in the muscle, which is in the hip. This helps the lining of the uterus stay thick, so that the baby stays attached.

January 10-the embryologist calls and tells us that all 15 of the embryos are dividing and doing well, so we would be coming in on Tuesday for the Embryo Transfer.




January 13- we go to the hospital for the Transfer. They said our embryos were “poster child embryos.” Again, I am placed in a gown and then they gave me some Valium to help me relax for the rest of the day. They showed us the little embryos up on the screen before they put them in my uterus. They implanted two. You cannot see embryos with the naked eye. The transfer went smoothly and I didn’t feel a thing. I went home and slept the rest of the day. I was on bed rest for three days, so that the embryos would stay attached.

No comments: