Friday, March 13, 2009

Lots of Appointments

Sorry about all the detail, but I want to have it all down for journal purposes down the road;


On October 15, we had our second appointment with Dr. Hatasaka. We brought back all of our results. We discussed our options and he told us that we had “unexplained infertility”. We decided to do in vitro which over the past two years had a 60% success rate there at the U of U. We found out that artificial insemination had a 17% success rate. Normally when a couple would come to the clinic, Dr. Hatasaka would try artificial insemination with chlomid first. But, we had already done this four times with no luck.

Over the next five weeks, we started preparing by:

Blood work (jenn) tested me for my blood type (O+) and to make sure I still had the rubella shot active in my blood (which I did); it took the nurse four times to find my blood veins. I do not like people to take my blood because of that reason....it makes me sweat and feel uneasy.
Semen Back up and Store (bryce) ; just in case something went wrong on the day of the egg retrieval.


On November 22, I had my first ultrasound with Dr. Hatasaka. I had 22 follicles that were looking great. We also did a practice transfer so he could measure how far up my uterus was. I also started taking birth control pills to help regulate my body. Timing is everything with this in vitro, so with birth control, they can direct when things happen. I continued taking the pills till December 20.

On December 14, I started taking my first injection, which is Lupron. Lupron helps my eggs to stay up in their follicles, so they would not release like a normal cycle. I did not notice any side effects to the Lupron.

On December 23, we had our second ultrasound with Dr. Gibson. The doctors trade off weeks, so they can have some time off during the holidays. Anyway, he was kind of a weird fellow, but he told me that everything was looking good.

On December 29, I started two more injections, FSH, which would over stimulate my ovaries and make me produce lots of eggs. And Repronex, which also helps with the stimulation. So, every morning I was taking 2 shots in my leg and one in my stomach. For the most part, these shots were ok. There was a time or two that I would hit a vein in my stomach or leg and then it would bruise up.

As far as side effects, I was extremely emotional. However, I am pretty sure that it was not just the medicine, but anyone going through all this stuff, would be emotional. There are just so many things to deal with and my mind would not stop. There are so many things that have to go right to get pregnant and there were so many steps that we had to take. It just seemed like my thoughts were scattered in a hundred different directions.

1 comment:

Charee B Mcclellan said...

wow hun..you have gone through a lot!