Monday, June 14, 2010

I love to Read

The last three weeks I have been able to read three different books. It seems like reading comes and goes. Life gets really busy and other things seem to creep into life and take up my time and suddenly I stop reading. Then, out of the blue, someone will suggest a good book and if I make the time, I begin to read again and I remember how much I love it and how I should fit it into my schedule every day.

While in Texas, I was able to read "The Hunger Games". I thought it was pretty good and there are two more in the series. It is basically about 12 districts within what used to be the US and they are controlled by a demanding and heartless government. Each district has a boy and girl that represent them in the "Hunger Games." Basically, they put the kids in a huge arena or location and the last kid alive, wins food for their starving district. It sounds crazy, but it is actually entertaining.
For some time now, I have been wanting to read the "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell. While in Texas, Shayne and Jen loaned it to me to read. This book is based on a true story that happened just a few years ago. Four Navy SEAL's were on a very dangerous mission up in the mountains of Hindu Kush, Afghanistan. It is a story about their bravery, committment to each other and to their country, and how he was the only survivor of that mission. He swears alot in the book, but that was kind of expected. He talks about God, his country, his life-long friends that he lost and about how the liberals and the media put the military in a predicament with their riduculous "rules of engagement" and their lying and deceitfulness. It is definately a book that I would recommend you read. Makes you appreciate the military more!

I also just finished "Broken Things to Mend" by Jeffrey R. Holland. What a great book! Full of inspiring messages about the gospel of Jesus Christ. The book is easy to read and also easy to understand.

I like this part of the book and it applies to us today. .. if only we had a president that believed in God and offered up prayers unto Him like our forefathers:

"Lincoln asked his fellow citizens to pray earnestly to the Almighty God and "to implore Him, as the Supreme Ruler of the World, not to destroy us as a people, nor suffer us to be destroyed by the hostility or connivance of other Nations, or by obstinated adhesion to our own counsels, which may be in conflict with His eternal pruposes, and to implore Him to enlighten the mind of the Nation to know and do His will; humbly believing that it is in accordance with His will that our place should be maintained as a united people among family of nations."

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I really want to read all three of those books. I'm glad you've found the time again. And, thanks for the suggestions.

I love that last quote. I feel the same as you do... I wish we had a president that was as humble and loved God like our forefathers did. Our nation would be in a much better place.

Melissa said...

Way to go Jen! You are making me want to dust of the books and find a minute in my life to read :)

jenhatch said...

so glad you liked Lone Survivor - not like I thought you wouldn't though!

That Jeffrey R. Holland book looks awesome too! Glad you're making a little time for yourself!