Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Not So Warm and Dry Vacation...Day 1

Last weekend, Bryce and I went on a 3 day "four wheeling" trip with Roger, Marilyn, Bishop, Nicki, Sheridan, and Luann. We had planned this vacation almost a year in advance and had been talking about it ever since. As the time got closer, I was getting so excited for the trip. We had taken the boys on many rides, but had only been on one ride by ourselves this summer.

When I found out that my friends funeral was over the vacation, I was really torn up inside about what to do. After talking to his daughter and my close friend, she talked me into going on this trip with my husband. She told me that if she had learned anything in the past 5 weeks, it was that the only thing you can take with you when you die, are your relationships and memories. It was a very tough decision, but I ended spending the the three days with Bryce.

We headed out for Richfield Utah on Thursday morning. I dropped Cooper off at school and then went to the airport to pick up Sean for the funeral. Sean took my car and I jumped in with Bryce. We met the rest of the group down in Nephi at Subway, where we enjoyed a yummy, healthy sandwich and my first taste of Dr. Pepper in 5 weeks! It was great, so I gotta stay away from that stuff.
It took us three hours total to get to Richfield. We were a little early for check-in so they let us all put our stuff in one room till the other rooms were ready. We went on a shorter ride that first afternoon. About halfway up the trail, we started feeling raindrops so we decided we better get our rain gear on. The trails down there are called the Piute Trails. I don't know any of the history, but I am assuming the Piute Indians used to inhabit this area. There are over 1100 miles of ATV trails down there and most of them connect to each other.
The trail for nice and smooth. In fact, cars could probably go up the first trail pretty easy. When we started back down the trail, the rain down poured. We were soaked, but it didn't rain for too long. We noticed the rain gear kept us dry except in the "bum" region because the water pools up there and has no place to run off when we are riding.
When we were about 5 miles from our trucks, we hit a trail that hadn't been rained on, so there was dust. Dust, wet wheelers, wet clothes and wet goggles don't go well together. We were so dirty when we got back to the trailers.After we got cleaned up and dry, we went to dinner at a little place in Monroe about 8 miles down the road. Everyone enjoyed their food. I got a yummy turkey and bacon wrap. We wrapped up the night by soaking in the hot tub and taking a swim in the pool.

No comments: