Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Douglas Camping Reunion

We had our 1st Annual Douglas Camping reunion last weekend up in Idaho, near Camp Bartlett. It is so beautiful up there. Our campsite is hidden by quakies and pine trees. We camped Friday through Sunday and it was a great break from every day life. Plus, the weather was great and the temperature was nice.

One thing I love about camping up there, is that I can let Cooper roam with his little cousins through the trees and I know they will be safe. He had such a good time going on "adventures" with Porter. In fact they had a little hideout that they would walk to about 20 times a day.

The mosquitoes were the only problem. This year they were really bad. We had to spray ourselves like 4 times a day.


We ate really well while we were there. We had scones (a family tradition), omelette's (which Bryce loves), BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken and Rhodes rolls right out of the dutch oven. The kids had so much fun roasting marshmallows and Cooper enjoyed putting little sticks in the fire.


Bryce was our "grill master". He did alot of the cooking while we were there. I was teasing him that he wouldn't let anyone cook, so I named him the grill master. He didn't like the teasing! He did do a great job, however. He told me that he was cooking so that the women didn't have to , since they cook all the time. He also said that his dad had spent years cooking for them, so Bryce felt like he should do it. What a great guy I have!
My most favorite thing about the camping was our church service on Sunday. We got special permission to bless and pass the sacrament. What a neat experience that was for me. You could feel the Spirit so strongly. In fact, probably more so because we were out in nature. After the sacrament, I was able to give a short talk about finding time to be holy. We talked about the worldly demands and how we need to make sure that we were finding time for those things that will bring us closer to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We then had a testimony meeting and it was very touching to hear the testimonies that were given. I really appreciate the comments that were made.

It was really great to have almost everyone up there. It was good to see Darren, Jill, Brayden, Jade, and Easton. It was also alot of fun to spend time with my husband. We enjoyed going on a four wheeler ride up the mountain and just spending quality time with each other. I want to thank everyone for making the effort to come and for the things you did to make it such a fun reunion.

3 comments:

Shayne said...

Sounds like a fun time. I am in the middle of a long work week and I could use the quiet time and away from it all feeling that comes with being in the mountains. It sounds like a good tradition that y'all have started. It looks like C-dog had sooo much fun too.

Carrie said...

I had such a good time there too. It definitely rejuvenated me. Poor Brad didn't want to come home. We talked about just buying a cabin up there and staying forever. Maybe when we're rich, that's what we'll do. You and Bryce picked out the perfect place to have our little reunion. Thanks for all your hard work this weekend. We really had fun!

The Nelsons said...

It was such a good time. I am glad that most of the family was able to go. We need to make sure we do it every year. I will try to get my pics on my blog too!!!